[Distutils] How to handle launcher script importability?

PJ Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Thu Aug 15 00:37:39 CEST 2013

On Wed, Aug 14, 2013 at 2:14 PM, Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:
> .pyw files can be imported as modules, just like .py,

Darn.  Okay, so another extension *is* needed if you want to be able
to make non-console apps runnable-but-not-importable.  IIUC it should
by '.pywa' rather than '.pya', though, because of the issue with only
the first three characters of an extension working in PowerShell,
which means it would be executed by the wrong PyLauncher under some
circumstances.

(Honestly, though, I'm not sure whether anybody cares about
PATH/PATHEXT in relation to GUI apps; ISTM they'd mostly be invoked by
shortcuts, and there's also a registry mechanism that's supposed to be
used for these things nowadays, rather than PATH...  but I think it
only works for .exe's, so there we go again back to the land of .exe's
just plain Work Better On Windows.)