[Distutils] How to handle launcher script importability?

Vinay Sajip vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Aug 13 14:33:45 CEST 2013

Vinay Sajip <vinay_sajip <at> yahoo.co.uk> writes:

> While distlib currently uses bespoke launchers, I plan to update it before
> the next release to use the PEP 397 launcher compiled with SCRIPT_WRAPPER.

One more data point - the launcher currently used by distlib is found at
[1]. Since it doesn't have all the bells and whistles that the PEP 397
launcher has (e.g. no searching for Pythons in the registry - the shebang is
assumed to point at the Python to launch; no customised command handling; no
configuration options; no support for passing parameters to Python itself),
it is a lot simpler and has smaller executables as a result (around 64K, as
opposed to 100-150K for the PEP 397 launcher). This might be an issue for
some, when there would potentially be lots of copies of these executables.

Regards,

Vinay Sajip

[1] https://bitbucket.org/vinay.sajip/simple_launcher/