[Distutils] How to handle launcher script importability?

Vinay Sajip vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Aug 12 19:00:42 CEST 2013

PJ Eby <pje <at> telecommunity.com> writes:

> If we go with One Extension To Rule Them All, I would actually suggest
> '.pyl' (for PyLauncher), since really all that extension does is say,
> "hey, run this as a console app via PyLauncher", not that it's a
> "script" (which would be assumed to be text).  And that all you can be
> sure of is that a .pyl files will start with a #! line, and launch
> whatever other program is specified there, on the contents of the file

I know I'm bike-shedding here, but my preference for extension would be
'.pye' as it indicates something to execute, but without indicating exactly
how (i.e. that it's via a separate launcher executable).

The standalone launcher already adds bindings for zip extensions but does
not change PATHEXT. Any changes in this area would not be in the launcher
itself, but in the standalone launcher installer (and hence would need to be
replicated in the Python installer).

Regards,

Vinay Sajip