[Distutils] Environment marker expression types

PJ Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Sun Apr 28 02:27:40 CEST 2013

On Sat, Apr 27, 2013 at 6:13 PM, Daniel Holth <dholth at gmail.com> wrote:
> So who's going to check how much long strings in json really cost?

I'm not sure how that's relevant, except for READMEs.  Right now the
long description is how you get a decent homepage for your project on
PyPI; but there are no other use cases for that information being
carried in the metadata file.  A good-sized README can add 32K to what
would otherwise be a 1K file, at least in the PKG-INFO format.  Also,
a README usually exists as a separate file to start with; do we really
need to read that file and then embed it in another file, so that it
doesn't have to be uploaded as a second attachment when posting to
PyPI?

Really, a README should be installed as documentation, not as part of
the package metadata.  I don't believe most packaging systems put that
kind of info in metadata; it's typically a line or a paragraph or two
at most, i.e. a description, not a web page.