[Distutils] Simplify 426: Deprecate Author-email and Maintainer-email

Donald Stufft donald at stufft.io
Thu Apr 25 05:54:45 CEST 2013

On Apr 24, 2013, at 11:35 PM, anatoly techtonik <techtonik at gmail.com> wrote:

> To reach the consensus in this discussion, I guess we all agree that roles in software projects may differ greatly. Even the 4 user stories listed are not enough to give proper credits to all people involved. I guess we can reach consensus stating that maintainers of packages in Python world are not common - authors or contributors package stuff themselves. PyPI is not Linux distribution where package maintainers play a significant and different role. So the "author"+ and "contributor"* fields seem to be reasonable minimum core.
>
> Do we all agree on that minimum as the first step?

An author (or authors) and contributors field would be very suitable.

I like how Node.js packages handled this. The canonical form is {"name": "Donald Stufft", "email": "donald at stufft.io", "url": "http://github.com/dstufft/"} (and what I think the internal representation should be), but the tooling understands strings like "Donald Stufft <donald at stufft.io> (http://github.com/dstufft/)". And both the email and url data is optional.

> --
> anatoly t.

Donald Stufft