[Distutils] buildout 2 craziness: bootstrap.py doesn't do enough

Reinout van Rees reinout at vanrees.org
Tue Apr 9 13:36:59 CEST 2013

On 06-04-13 02:55, Chris Withers wrote:
> Having bootstrap.py really make sure things are started again from
> scratch would likely solve all these problems. (The .installed.cfg stuff
> I remember hitting before, when only using clean pythons)

Removing .installed.cfg: not sure. Some recipes fail when installing
themselves when there's still something left over from the last run. And
'install' versus 'update' is used when the .installed.cfg is gone.

OTOH, that's somethint that needs fixing in the recipes.

Removing the develop eggs: that actually sounds like a very good idea.
It would have solved quite some issues with system packages here at the
office.

(And yes, we use system packages too. Big geographical stack with numpy,
mapnik, matplotlib, geos, scipy, netcdf... Impractical to compile from
source. Though I'm sometimes tempted to make a buildout that compiles
all that stuff for me :-) )

Reinout

--
Reinout van Rees                    http://reinout.vanrees.org/