[Distutils] .egg-info metadata

Donald Stufft donald.stufft at gmail.com
Fri Sep 21 04:08:05 CEST 2012

On Thursday, September 20, 2012 at 9:24 PM, PJ Eby wrote:
> As a practical matter (and practicality beats purity), it's sometimes
> necessary to provide this information in order to depend on packages
> that aren't cataloged in PyPI, or when third-party build support is
> required, and your goal is to offer a library or application which
> itself is used as a dependency.

This is likely the cause of the difference in opinion. I don't think that
packaging metadata should contain information other than informative
for dependencies external to the ecosystem.

In this case If something isn't on PyPI then you don't get to have it
automatically installed. If I depend on lxml (or somewhere in my
dependency chain something does) then I have to convey that
requirements for libxml2 and libxslt. I don't see things external to PyPI
as any different. In metadata 1.2+ this could be expressed via
requires-external. It's a dependency external to that of the Python
packaging ecosystem.

Maybe that's just me though.