[Distutils] zip imports ftw

Erik Bray erik.m.bray at gmail.com
Mon Sep 17 18:39:49 CEST 2012

On Sun, Sep 16, 2012 at 3:33 PM, Daniel Holth <dholth at gmail.com> wrote:
> It is because the file has a controversial coding style, with up to 25
> lines of whitespace between classes, and includes functionality for
> eggs and some other stuff that was unwanted on top of the resources
> stuff that partly made its way into pkgutil.

I don't see why that couldn't be fixed though.  As it is, almost every
time I make a patch to distribute I clean things up a bit, in part
because I have vim configured by default to run autopep8 and some
other scripts on every Python file I open so I don't have to look at
*quite* as much ugly code (this has proven very useful at work).

> I am really impressed with the file after seeing how easy it was to
> add PEP-345 and PEP-376 support to pkg_resources.py without having to
> present a different API to the user, and seeing how it provides a lot
> of what an installer needs especially being able to iterate over all
> the distributions in a particular folder, but I am glad it is not in
> the stdlib because I wouldn't have been able to do that if it was.

Yes--I frequently have found myself wishing pkg_resources'
availability could be assumed. Especially for getting handles to
non-code resources, and for things like get_distribution().

Erik