[Distutils] ANN wheel-0.10.1

Daniel Holth dholth at gmail.com
Mon Oct 1 05:06:52 CEST 2012

I'm pleased to announce wheel version 0.10.1.

In this version of wheel, Paul Moore has done a lot of work on wheel's
reference installer, a simple installer that can only install from
local wheel files. The wheel installer can now accept pip-style
requirements files but it doesn't automatically install dependencies,
and it does not uninstall conflicting packages i.e. previous versions
of the same package. If you need a mature full-featured installer you
should use pip.

A notable feature of this version of wheel is that you can use it even
when your virtualenv does not contain setuptools or distribute. For
example,

/tmp/venv/bin/python wheel-0.10.1-py2.py3-none-any.whl/wheel install
wheel-0.10.1-py2.py3-none-any.whl

executes wheel's wheel to install itself. This feature should be handy
for bootstrapping. Wheel's own scripts still use pkg_resources, so you
should invoke the tool with "python -m wheel" if you do not want to
install distribute or setuptools.

On my machine, it takes about 0.7 seconds to install IPython from a wheel.