[Distutils] (How) do setuptools/distribute/pip handle circular dependencies?

Vinay Sajip vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Nov 13 13:16:43 CET 2012

Alex Clark <aclark <at> aclark.net> writes:

> Just jumping in here, but I don't think that the distribute
> distribution providing the setuptools module is indicative of a fork.
> It's an example of a distribution that does not contain a module name
> you'd expect it to, based on the distribution name. PIL is another
> example: from PIL import Image. And in the case of PIL at least, the
> fork distribution name does not change anything: pip install Pillow;
> from PIL import Image.

Sure, but my main point was about having "Provides" be a multi-valued field,
which opens the door to a lot of complexity for perhaps little or no benefit. I
don't have any problem with the use of "Provides" as a canonical name for a
distribution. Even before Pillow came along, there used to be confusion, IIRC,
between the names "Imaging" and "PIL".

Regards,

Vinay Sajip