[Distutils] command hooks...

Tarek Ziadé tarek at ziade.org
Wed May 16 15:26:23 CEST 2012

On 5/16/12 3:19 PM, Jim Fulton wrote:
> On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 2:55 AM, Tarek Ziadé<tarek at ziade.org>  wrote:
>> On 5/16/12 3:58 AM, Chris McDonough wrote:
>>> Adding two more (packaging and distutils2) which are similarly
>>> semi-documented and which don't even solve the problems that the previous
>>> ones do would serve no purpose, and baking them into Python itself will mean
>>> they can't evolve in important ways.
>>
>> Oh, I think I need to answer to this too since you said you wanted to help.
>> Packaging is not intended to be similar to setuptools in its features.
>>
>> For instance we won't provide console scripts or entry points. The first one
>> because 'script' is the same feature (except there's an indirection and I
>> said before we could mimic this)
> I don't know what this means.  Will we have something
> functionally-equivalent to console-scripts?  Or will we have something
> more similar to the old distutils scripts functionality.  If the
> later, then I doubt that packaging will work well with buildout.

Please explain us exactly what you mean with this feature.

What we want to have in packaging is the old distutils srcipt feature,
with an extra option:
a way to point a callable instead of a module, and then a wrapper like
setuptools does.

If you need something else, please explain what it is.

(there's no need to declare an entry point and iterate over all
projects, just to find back a
  callable to run your script, right? you can just... import the callable)