[Distutils] Self Introduction and Getting Hands On

Tarek Ziadé tarek at ziade.org
Tue Jun 26 10:16:26 CEST 2012

On 6/26/12 8:56 AM, Bohuslav Kabrda wrote:
> Hi all,
> I recently came upon Tarek's blogpost [1] about converting Python packages to rpm specfiles. I have pretty good knowledge of this, as I am a Fedora package maintainer and Python is one of my main responsibilities. I have always wanted to become a Python developer and becoming part of distutils-sig and trying to give a helping hand with RPM related stuff is probably a good entry point for me :)
>
> To introduce myself, I work at Red Hat as a package maintainer for dynamic languages, I am author of the new Fedora-used pyp2rpm [2], [3], which tries to do exactly what Py2RPM is supposed to be. (Well, it's not perfect, but it can do 90 % of the work, usually. So far, it doesn't work with distutils2, but I'll probably be working on that when Python 3.3 gets released.) I also have some minor not-yet-released projects in Python, I work with Django and I'm just a Python enthusiast. In Fedora, I am a maintainer/comaintainer of both Python and Python3, Django and another 15+ (and growing) set of packages.
>
> Thanks for reading this through :) I'm looking forward to working with - and learning from - all of you.

Welcome !

As I stated in the blog post, I think a separate project for all RPM
-related stuff would make a lot of sense

FWIW I have started a "pypi2rpm" project that creates RPM out of PyPI
projects, we use at Mozilla to deploy our apps,
http://pypi.python.org/pypi/pypi2rpm
It's just a glue script on the top of an isolated bdist_rpm command and
distutils2.version (for sorting versions) but you can also pass your
spec file for a given
project and have Fedora/RHEL specific options (like adding python26-
prefixes etc)

It sounds like your project is on the other side, e.g. generating spec
files out of Python projects, so I'd be really interested to see how it
may replace bdist_rpm in pypi2rpm

Cheers
Tarek