[Distutils] Adding Provides-Extra as an edit to PEP 345

Brian Sutherland brian at vanguardistas.net
Fri Jul 6 17:45:25 CEST 2012

On Fri, Jul 06, 2012 at 11:01:33AM -0400, Éric Araujo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> >Hopefully this will be a more useful spec.
> Thanks for the proposal, but it is not really a spec.  You’re
> suggesting name and syntax for a new field, but you don’t describe
> what it means and what it is used for.  From what I understand, the
> goal is similar to build dependencies and optional dependencies in
> systems like Debian’s dpkg;

You can also think of extras as similar to Debian's metapackages. For
example, looking at the zope.component packaging:

    http://packages.debian.org/source/sid/zope.component

The zope.component [zcml] extra is translated to metapackage
(python-zope.component-zcml) that depends on python-zope.component and
python-zope.configuration.

--
Brian Sutherland