[Distutils] buildout: several fold performance increases

Marius Gedminas marius at pov.lt
Tue Jan 24 15:33:40 CET 2012

On Sat, Jan 21, 2012 at 02:48:55PM -0800, Ross Patterson wrote:
> > Marius Gedminas <marius at pov.lt> writes:
> >> How can I test your branch?
>
> Here's how I just managed to test my real-world buildouts using my
> zc.buildout and buildout.dumppickedversions checkouts and compare those
> times against the released versions (1.4 and 0.4 respectively).
[...]
> Now time with the zc.buildout checkout by overriding the version pin for
> zc.buildout:
>
>     $ bin/buildout -N versions:zc.buildout= && time bin/buildout -N versions:zc.buildout=

My baseline is 41s (that includes 'newest = false' in my buildout.cfg,
which is what -N does here).

Your modified buildout's first run was 12s.  Second run decided to
recompile PIL for no reason and took 37s.  Third, fourth and fifth runs
were 10s each.

Awesome.  I want your branch merged.

Marius Gedminas
--
Special bonus feature: absolutely nowhere in RetchMail's code is there an
arbitrary 3-second sleep(). Wow! What other mail retriever can say that? (Hint: