[Distutils] [RFC] real cross-compiling support for Distutils2

Yegor Yefremov yegorslists at googlemail.com
Mon Feb 6 11:57:35 CET 2012

What is the state of real cross-compiling support in Distutils2? AFAIK
cross-compiling is supported only for various Windows compilers Visual
Studio, MinGW, Borland etc. What I need is an option to cross-compile
software for other architecture like: host - x86, target - ARM.

I encountered following problems trying to cross-compile netifaces 6.0
for ARM Linux:

1. the cross-compiler was not used for all compilation stages without
following package: http://pypi.python.org/pypi/distutilscross
2. during header search process temp c files were created, compiled
and executed. Execution led to an error (cross-compiled binary). What
is the proper way of searching for required headers/libs aka autoconf?
3. Libraries search paths (LDFLAGS) were ignored at linking stage

Version 7.0 fixes problems 2 to 3, but the first one still remains.

Projects/distros that are using cross-compilation are:

Yocto (http://www.yoctoproject.org/)
Buildroot (http://buildroot.uclibc.org/)

many others

Regards,