[Distutils] Plans for a build command or --user support for pysetup3?

Éric Araujo merwok at netwok.org
Tue Sep 6 17:17:37 CEST 2011

Hi Brett,

> Two things that I missed was wanting a build command
A clarification: In distutils2, there is a difference between commands
(build, sdist, upload, i.e. similar to distutils commands) and actions
(metadata, list, search, run).  The pysetup install action is a
high-level interface to install a remote or local project.  If you’re
using it on a local setup.cfg-based project, then it will call the build
and install commands.

Now to answer your question: To call a command, use the run action:
   $ pysetup run build

> --user suport for install.
I’ve been surprised to discover that the install action lacks options to
control the target directory.  It’s probably because the action is not
complete yet.  IMO, we should support --user, --prefix, --home and all
other options supported by the install command itself.  I intended to
open a feature request for that; feel free to do it.

Regards