[Distutils] pypi/packages/docs.python.org

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Sun Mar 6 22:26:54 CET 2011

2011/3/6 "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de>:
>>> What particular clause strikes you as particularly unfriendly?
>>> Please understand that it may sound harsh, but is necessary - better
>>> be safe than sorry.
>>
>> Nothing wrong about the warning itself, but about landing on a plain
>> condensed text page.
>> I think we should make it a html page. And maybe display the last ten
>> packages doc updates ?
>
> It actually *is* a html page (and always was). It just doesn't use
> any styling.
>
> As for changing the style: please submit a html file to replace what is
> there (I refuse to do any styling . As for displaying the last ten doc
> updates: either submit a tracker request, or provide a patch.

That could be a nice small sprint task at Pycon -- will see

>> Since "packages.python.org" allow us to have a directory with HTML
>> files, those could be made accessible under:
>>
>> http://pypi.python.org/pypi/distribute/docs, with a big link on the
>> top of http://pypi.python.org/pypi/distribute to go there.
>
> [I wonder why "links" and "buttons" always have to be "big", and often
> "red" :-]
>
> See my response to Lennart for the former: distribute/docs would be
> the "docs" release of "distribute".

Yes, good points.

> As for a big link: if you think your page should have one, you are free
> to make it yourself already.

Sure but,

1/ I have never asked for the "Downloads ↓" link either, but the UI
did add it, and it's really more ergonomic.

2/ I have never asked for "Latest Version: 0.6.14" on this page : hit
ttp://pypi.python.org/pypi/distribute/0.6.9

and you also say for 2/  "if you think your page should have links to
older releases, you are free to make it yourself already"
But same remark: it makes browsing more friendly.

And I think a link to packages.python.org/distribute is at the same level

--
Tarek Ziadé | http://ziade.org