[Distutils] DRAFT PEP 396 - module version number

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Wed Jun 8 05:48:43 CEST 2011

Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> writes:

> Hi Éric,
>
> On Jun 07, 2011, at 05:30 PM, Éric Araujo wrote:
>
> >Just two things I thought about while perusing my archives yesterday.

[…]

Agreed. Damn English and its ample opportunities for ambiguity.

> So, what *should* we call this thing? Note that in the PEP, I'm
> specifically talking about the namespace, not the file. Maybe
> "module's namespace" would be clearer?

+1.

I think the grammar could be even clearer:

    For modules which are also packages, the ``__version__`` attribute
    SHOULD be in the module's namespace.

--
 \      “The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But |
  `\     the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound |