[Distutils] unable to upload to pypi

Algis Kabaila akabaila at pcug.org.au
Wed Jul 27 09:01:21 CEST 2011

Hi,

Our 26 year old grand daughter on a visit from Sydney strongly suggested that
I should upload my work to pypi.  I think she is right, so I put up a real
effort to learn the tools to make the package presentable.  I think I did
finally succeed to wrap my package in a respectable form.  I attach the listing
of the setup.py.

I think that the install script, the documentation and the package (in Python
3.2) all work fine - as a test I placed it in my home page -

documentation : http://akabaila.pcug.org.au/matalg-doc/index.html
the package Matalg-0.1.0.tar.gz
http://akabaila.pcug.org.au/downloads/

I am registered user of pypi and have downloaded some packages from there.
However, try as I have, I can not upload to pypi. I attach the dialog between
me and my PC of the last few minutes:

I have a ".pypirc" file in my home directory (password obscured):

[server-login]
username:OldAl
password:xxxxxx

My PC is named (immodestly) "supremo", the os is kubuntu 11.04 natty, my user
name on my PC is  "ak", my login name on pypi is "OldAl", the package licence
is LDPL - and here is the dialog:

ak at supremo:/dat/work/py3/Matrix-Algebra$ python setup.py sdist upload
running sdist
running check
reading manifest template 'MANIFEST.in'
writing manifest file 'MANIFEST'
creating Matalg-0.1.0
creating Matalg-0.1.0/matalg-mod
creating Matalg-0.1.0/matalg-pdf
making hard links in Matalg-0.1.0...
hard linking README.txt -> Matalg-0.1.0
hard linking setup.py -> Matalg-0.1.0
hard linking matalg-mod/Matalg.py -> Matalg-0.1.0/matalg-mod
hard linking matalg-mod/__init__.py -> Matalg-0.1.0/matalg-mod
hard linking matalg-mod/testMat.py -> Matalg-0.1.0/matalg-mod
hard linking matalg-pdf/quickStart.pdf -> Matalg-0.1.0/matalg-pdf
hard linking matalg-pdf/referenceMatalg.pdf -> Matalg-0.1.0/matalg-pdf
hard linking matalg-pdf/userManual.pdf -> Matalg-0.1.0/matalg-pdf
Creating tar archive
removing 'Matalg-0.1.0' (and everything under it)
running upload
Submitting dist/Matalg-0.1.0.tar.gz to http://pypi.python.org/pypi
Upload failed (403): Forbidden
ak at supremo:/dat/work/py3/Matrix-Algebra$

It all seem to indicate that either my password is not recognised, my ID is in
doubt - or the more mundane - I am making the same mistake over and over
again.

What can I do (other than banging my head against a wall)?

Algis Kabaila, PhD, MEngSc (UNSW)
http://akabaila.pcug.org.au/StructuralAnalysis.pdf