[Distutils] Fwd: [Catalog-sig] Trove categories for Buildout recipes and extensions

Éric Araujo merwok at netwok.org
Wed Jan 26 12:54:24 CET 2011

>>> Doesn't "Framework :: Buildout :: Recipe" already imply "Framework ::
>>> Buildout" ?
>> [...]
> That's not what I meant exactly. What I meant that is you declare a
> Trove classifier "A :: B :: C" aren't you implicitly declaring "A :: B"
> and "A" as well, so you don't need to specify them separately?

You’re not implicitly declaring “A” because it is not a classifier: They
all have at least two parts.  In this example:

	Topic :: Software Development :: Version Control :: CVS

these implied classifiers may be useful in your application:

	Topic :: Software Development :: Version Control
	Topic :: Software Development

however, “Topic” alone is not a classifier, and is not very useful
(“this distribution defines one topic”).

Maybe we should provide a module in distutils2 to make useful operations
with Trove classifiers strings.

Regards