[Distutils] .exe for script in Windows doesn't work

cool-RR cool-rr at cool-rr.com
Wed Jan 12 20:31:39 CET 2011

Hi guys,

I made a release of my project today, and now I see there's something wrong
with it.

When you install it on Windows using the windows binaries (that I made with
`bdist_msi` under Python 2.7), the .exe scripts in the "Scripts" folder
don't work. When you launch them, nothing happens. You can launch the
associated *-script.pyw files and those *do* work.

I investigated a little and possibly I figured it out. The shebang line says
"#!c:\Python27\pythonw.exe". This is the interpreter with which I *created*
the binaries. But why should it be the interpreter with which the *user*
works? The user could have "c:\Python26\pythonw.exe" as his interpreter
or "c:\Programs\Python25\pythonw.exe" or "g:\Pypy\pypy.exe" as his
interpreter.

I tried editing the shebang line with notepad, and this caused the exe files
to start working! (Of course this is not a real solution, I can't ask my
users to do that.)

Is this a bug in distribute?

I'd appreciate if you can reply soon since I already started the release
process and I don't want to confuse users.

Thanks,
Ram.