[Distutils] Preventing downloading for package requirements

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Fri Feb 25 16:51:52 CET 2011

On Feb 25, 2011, at 10:27 AM, Mark Sienkiewicz wrote:

>Barry Warsaw wrote:
>> So, do you have any suggestions for a better way to say "never download
>> dependencies" for a particular package, or class of packages.  easy_install has (at least in distribute) a documented feature that makes it use only locally stored files.
>
>http://packages.python.org/distribute/easy_install.html#installing-on-un-networked-machines
>
>If it works (I never tried it), that is a nice feature for configuration
>management; it can't possibly get the wrong version if it can only use what
>you have provided.
>
>In your case, anything that is not already installed (from another debian
>package) is "wrong".  You might provide a directory containing only the
>single package that you want to install.  Anything else would be not found,
>and that would be your clue that something was wrong.  You either need to
>install another debian package to provide the missing python package, or you
>need another python package as part of the debian package that you are
>presently creating.

Ah, this link just turned on the light.  I can add this to setup.cfg:

[easy_install]
allow_hosts: None

It's moderately better than my previous take which was to set allow_hosts to
www.example.com.  Sounds like the best way forward is for us to recommend
adding this entry to prevent unwanted downloads.

Cheers,
-Barry