[Distutils] Dependency problems.

Mac Ryan quasipedia at gmail.com
Fri Aug 19 15:43:03 CEST 2011

Hello,

	I just subscribed yesterday, having being redirected here from
the python-tutor ML. I hope this is the right place to ask the question
I am struggling with.

	I am trying to package a program I wrote for debian. It's my
**very first time** with packaging at all, and also with distutils, so
I followed online documentation to get something done. It work-ish'ed,
but I am struggling with a problem on dependencies.

	To write my setup.py script I followed this:
http://packages.python.org/distribute/setuptools.html#automatic-script-creation

	In the section on dependencies it says: "If your project
depends on packages that aren’t registered in PyPI, you	may
still be able to depend on them, as long as they are available for
download as an egg, in the standard distutils sdist format, or as a
single .py file. You just need to add some URLs to the dependency_links
argument to setup()."

	My question is: how do I list dpendencies that are not python
code? For example: say my program needs to launch at some point another
program like for example inkscape, is there a way to specify this in
the setup.py file, or am I out of luck and my only chance is to list it
in the debian directory half-way through the process of converting my
code to a .deb package?

	Also, another question out of scientific curiosity. On a
debian-based distro, if a python module is installed via PyPI, will it
be "seen" and handled by apt-get / synaptic as if it were installed
from a .deb package? In other words: would a user be able to execute
`apt-get remove xxxx` if xxxx has been installed with python
easy_install xxxx`?

	Thank you in advance for your help!
	/mac