[Distutils] "buildout-versions" not showing pinned versions

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Wed Aug 17 04:14:29 CEST 2011

On 16/08/2011 18:31, B.Nanda Kishore wrote:
> [buildout]
> index=http://localhost:8000/
> parts = deps
> extensions = buildout-versions
>
> [deps]
> recipe = zc.recipe.egg
> eggs = PkgA
>              PkgB==0.1.0
>
> When I ran the buildout, this is the output I got.
>
> [versions]
> PkgA = 0.1.0
> buildout-versions = 1.6
> distribute = 0.6.19
> zc.buildout = 1.5.2
> zc.recipe.egg = 1.3.2
>
> Notice that PkgB's version is not printed.

Yes, as I said before, this is intended and will not change.

Here's an example buildout.cfg that shows why:

[buildout]
parts = part1 part2
extensions = buildout-versions
versions = versions

[versions]
SomePackage = 2.0

[part1]
recipe = zc.recipe.egg
eggs =
   SomePackage

[part2]
recipe = zc.recipe.egg
eggs =
   SomeOtherPackage
   SomePackage==1.0

To explain, SomeOtherPackage has a dependency on SomePackage, but hasn't
been updated to work with version 2.0, so needs to be pinned to 1.0.
However, the rest of the buildout is fine to use with the new version 2.0.

In general, buildout-versions should be used as described in its docs
and versions should *only* be pinned in a [versions] section.

*Why* are you pinning in the eggs line?

cheers,

Chris

             - http://www.simplistix.co.uk