[Distutils] Distribute error? datetimewidget.pot: File name too long

P.J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Sat Sep 25 22:14:40 CEST 2010

At 08:43 PM 9/25/2010 +0100, Jon Hadley wrote:
>What are my options in the meantime? The bug is stopping my package
>from installing and my buildout completing.
>
>You mention it exists in all versions, so I can't downgrade to get
>round it? Is there something unique to my package that could be
>re-written to avoid the bug for now?

I think I know what the problem is.  I re-examined your traceback,
and the place where it's trying a recursive install is on looking up
the entry point for a setup() argument.  That is, it's trying to load
a plugin to handle a setup() argument.

This would explain why I can't reproduce the problem, since I don't
have the same plugin(s) as you.

So, could you please try it *without* buildout or virtualenv?

Specifically, try running:

    /path/to/the/real/python2.4 -m easy_install -mad somedir fez.atcsv

Where 'somedir' is a new, empty directory, and
/path/to/the/real/python2.4 is NOT a virtualenv Python, and see what happens.

You won't need root access, as with the -mad options easy_install
will not write outside of 'somedir' and your system tmp directory.

If this does *not* get into the same build loop, then the problem
likely lies with a plugin in your virtualenv, or that ends up on
sys.path while buildout is running.

We can then narrow it down to what specific plugin is causing the
problem, by running something like this code in the virtualenv (or on
the main Python, if the problem is also there):

     for ep in pkg_resources.iter_entry_points('distutils.setup_keywords'):
         print ep.name, ep.dist, ep.extras

This will dump out what plugins are providing what keywords, and what
requirements they depend on, and will help us find where the problem is.