[Distutils] Buildout release news

Gary Poster gary.poster at canonical.com
Fri Sep 10 20:10:38 CEST 2010

On Aug 30, 2010, at 5:17 PM, Jim Fulton wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 3:06 PM, Gary Poster <gary.poster at canonical.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Aug 30, 2010, at 1:50 PM, Jim Fulton wrote:

>>> My preferance is that buildout provide isolated and non-isolated modes
>>> and that the isolation apply equally to recipes, extensions, and eggs
>>> installed by parts.

I have a branch that I've asked Reinout to test that does this.  Defaulting to non-isolated should significantly increase backwards compatibility.

I'll hope to release a 1.5.2 with this next week.  It will also have some other bugfixes found along the way, and maybe some Mac support (turns out the Mac system Python does something weird and different itself).

>> Having fought through all this, I really think having separate
>  isolation controls for the buildout (buildout, recipes, extensions)
>  versus the things that are built by parts is the right way to
>  go.  It's two very different domains, and the people writing the
>  two kinds of code are often completely separate.
>
> I don't want to make work for you, but I don't understand what issues
> you fought.  Are there any links you can give that might allow me to
> get this for myself?

I talked to Jim after this email, and my answer was essentially, "No.  Maybe I was just tired fighting generally and gave up too easily."

Gary