[Distutils] Need for some guidance

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Mon Sep 6 17:44:28 CEST 2010

On 3 September 2010 22:19, Phil Sayre & Jean Richon <sayrich1 at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hello,
>      My name is Phil Sayre.  My email is sayrich1 at gmail.com.  I have
> written a Python program which I will be using in my capacity as treasurer
> for a small, 200 member group of chamber music aficionados.  This program
> provides an interactive interface to the person sitting in front of a laptop
> computer, allowing him to look up a member's information, given the member's
> name, and determine whether or not he has paid his dues for the current
> year.  It allows for corrections to the data, e.g., address, email, phone.
> When the member pays $10, I will be able to mark him paid on the current
> date with a mouse click.  This program is easy to use and much faster and
> simpler than using an Excel spreadsheet, which is the system I have had to
> deal with for the past 2 years.
>
> That is the justification for the program.  Now I am wondering if I might
> not be able to offer this program to other similar organizations, for
> possibly a modest price.  To do this I would have to know something about
> packaging it as an installable product.  I think the proper place to look
> for answers is the Distutils sig, isn't it?  But I confess at this
> point, the documentation is just extremely confusing.

You may be better off using something like py2exe (along with an installer
creator like Wix) to bundle your application as a standalone application.
You will still need to know a bit about distutils but you will be better off
following the py2exe user guide and asking questions on the py2exe list
(unless they redirect you back here for anything):

    http://www.py2exe.org/

All the best,

Michael Foord

http://www.voidspace.org.uk