[Distutils] How to track performance improvements in my code?

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Mon May 10 22:11:10 CEST 2010

On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 10:06 PM, Lennart Regebro <regebro at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 21:38, Matthew Wilson <matt at tplus1.com> wrote:
>>
>> I know how to use timeit and/or profile to measure the current run-time
>> cost of some code.
>>
>> I want to record the time used by some original implementation, then
>> after I rewrite it, I want to find out if I made stuff faster or slower,
>> and by how much.
>>
>> Other than me writing down numbers on a piece of paper on my desk, does
>> some tool that does this already exist?
>>
>> If it doesn't exist, how should I build it?
>
> Since circumstances change, most importantly hardware, the only way to
> be sure is to run the performance test on all versions on the same
> machine (obviously while it's not doing anything else). A system that
> can take a bunch of svn/hg/whatever tags, check them out build them,
> and test them as a a big batch could be helpful.

you can also translate the results into pystones, so your output is
roughly the same on
every machine that has a similar architecture / OS I guess.

> Don't really see what it has to do with distutils...

I think Matthew also wanted a way to record previous runs and diff them.
That would be a good question for the Testing In Python mailing list,

Tarek Ziadé | http://ziade.org