[Distutils] inability to pass setup.py command line arguments to dependency setups

Kent Bower kb at retailarchitects.com
Fri May 7 19:56:41 CEST 2010

Just because there are configuration problems associated with adding a
feature like the one I needed is absolutely no reason to abandon it when
it can bring value to the tool if used correctly and in some
circumstances.  I considered some of those exact complications "what if
it was already installed, etc" and with my company's project, where I am
using this useful tool in a circumstance you may overlook (it is
perfectly acceptable to have such a feature, *despite* the list of
complications you mention), such a feature would have been very valuable.

Since it is useful in my case, I understand it would be valuable for
others as well.

(I don't appreciate the aggressive tone of your reply, though, nor do I
see how my good faith efforts to help others warrant this... how did I
possibly offend you with my post??)

On the other hand, I appreciate your "correct solution" as a good
approach and I'll forward this idea to an author of SQLAlchemy for his
consideration.