[Distutils] Distutils 1.0a1 released

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Thu May 6 15:39:21 CEST 2010

Hello,

I've cut a release of Distutils2 (that was planned for May 1st).

This release can't be used in production, is under-documented, but has
cool isolated features that can be already used in your projects:

- features added during the last year, like the "check" command
- a find_packages() function. extracted from setuptools but that can
take several root paths.
- a metadata reader/writer compatible with all metadata flavors (1.0,
1.1, 1.2) - see http://packages.python.org/Distutils2/metadata.html
- a version module that implements PEP 376 - no doc yet ;)

Also, we have implemented PEP 345 on PyPI side. You can see for
example the project urls in a box on the right side of the page.

Release schedule:

1.0a2 - 2010-05-28  (Python 2.7rc1 and GSOC starts)
1.0b1 - 2010-06-25 (Python 2.7 final)
1.0b2 - 2010-07-17  (GSOC Mid-term)
1.0c1 - 2010-07-30  (GSOC Ends)
1.0 final - 2010-08-15