[Distutils] Bootstrap script for package management tool in Python 2.7 (Was: Re: [Python-Dev] At least one package management tool for 2.7)

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Mon Mar 29 11:38:46 CEST 2010

2010/3/29 anatoly techtonik <techtonik at gmail.com>:
> 2010/3/29 Lennart Regebro <regebro at gmail.com>:
>> On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 09:30, anatoly techtonik <techtonik at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Therefore I still propose shipping bootstrap package that instruct
>>> user how to download and install an actual package  management tool
>>> when users tries to use it. So far I know only one stable tool -
>>> `easy_install` - a part of `setuptools` package.
>>
>> We can't ship *A* bootstrap script until there is *A* package
>> management tool in the Python world. Currently there are three. :)
>>
>> In short: The tools that exist are not ready yet.
>
> Ok. How about shipping bootstrap script only for `easy_install` tool for now?

-1

I don't see how this will improve the current state. It will make it
worse since the future of packaging for the stldib is being built in
distutils2, and also in Pip.

People that want to use easy_install can install it. It's very simple
and doesn't require more work than what you have described through a
-m call.

The instructions you want to add in that bootstrap script to inform
people belong to the documentation imho. And that's one of the goal of
the packaging guide we are building.

Another suggestion could be to add in the Python installer a notice
about the guide, saying :

"Hey, we are working on packaging right now. Python currently doesn't
ship with a full-featured package manager, you can have a look in this
guide though, for guidance"

I still think you should remove python-dev from the cc list  ;)

Tarek

--
Tarek Ziadé | http://ziade.org