[Distutils] [Python-Dev] At least one package management tool for 2.7

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Thu Mar 25 00:38:34 CET 2010

On 2010-03-24 18:30 PM, Tarek Ziadé wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 12:20 AM, Robert Kern<robert.kern at gmail.com>  wrote:
> [??]
>> The problem with doing that currently is that distutils complains when it
>> receives an option that it doesn't recognize.
>
> No because these are options you pass to easy_install only in your
> distutils.cfg file:
>
>    [easy_install]
>    foo=bar
>
>    [bdist_rpm]
>    baz=1
>
>> Packages that do not use
>> setuptools will fail if you try to provide setuptools-specific
>> configuration:
>>
>> $ python setup.py install
>> running install
>> error: error in /Users/rkern/.pydistutils.cfg: command 'install' has no such
>> option 'single_version_externally_managed'
>
> You need to use [easy_install] in your  .pydistutils.cfg, not [install].
>
> The easy_install command is called internally by the install command
> in distribute/setuptools.

The --single-version-externally-managed and --record options are only on the
install command, not the easy_install command.

$ cat ~/.pydistutils.cfg
[easy_install]
single-version-externally-managed=True
record=/dev/null

$ python setup.py install
running install
error: error in /Users/rkern/.pydistutils.cfg: command 'easy_install' has no
such option 'single_version_externally_managed'

Please show me a configuration that you have tested.

--
Robert Kern

  an underlying truth."
   -- Umberto Eco