[Distutils] Releasing eggs as .tar.gz with setuptools or zc.buildout

Fred Drake fdrake at acm.org
Wed Mar 24 17:40:09 CET 2010

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 12:22 PM, Baiju M <mbaiju at zeomega.com> wrote:
> May be this will be useful:
> http://pypi.python.org/pypi/zc.sourcerelease

It sounds to me like Martin's problem isn't getting source releases,
but in deploying them on systems without compilers and other tools.

What we're doing at Zope Corporation is building source releases
(using zc.sourcerelease as Baiju suggested), and then building
packages that the system package management tools can use from those
source releases.  (In our case the packages are RPMs, but it could be
anything.)

But the zc.sourcerelease releases are a good starting point for that
since the dependency packaging and management is handled for you.

  -Fred