[Distutils] repeatable and updatable virtualenv

Saint Germain saintger at gmail.com
Fri Mar 19 16:24:45 CET 2010

2010/3/19 Brad Allen <bradallen137 at gmail.com>

> On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 2:26 AM, Chris Withers <chris at simplistix.co.uk> wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > How can I set up a virtualenv in such a way that I can version control the
> > packages and their versions that are installed in it?
> >
> > The answer would appear to a custom bootstrap script, but how would I think
> > update an existing virtualenv when I added or removed packages or changed
> > the version of a specific package?
>

> You could try envbuilder; I find it very helpful for setting up
> development environments repeatably when developing several related
> packages ('er, 'module distributions') simultaneously.
>
> It basically just creates a virtualenv, checks out/clones whatever you
> specify in the .env confiig file, and runs setup.py develop on each of
> the checked out packages into the virtualenv. Also, it provides a way
> to apply commands across all the checked out packages (like 'update'
> or 'status')
>
> http://pypi.python.org/pypi/envbuilder/0.1.4
>
> I think a similar functionality can be had using buildout with
> mr.developer, but I have not tried it yet. However as far as I know,
> buildout does not create a virtualenv (yet).

I'm currently trying more or less the same thing by combining buildout
with virtualenv and pip.
So far it's working without problem except the installation of develop
eggs (see my other message).

Buildout can create virtualenv without problem (see
http://pypi.python.org/pypi/rjm.recipe.venv/0.7) and can use pip to
install editable package (see
http://pypi.python.org/pypi/gp.recipe.pip) under version control (CVS,
SVN, Mercurial...)

Now if only I can solve the develop eggs issue, I would be very happy !