[Distutils] Installing header files with setuptools

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Wed Mar 3 07:02:36 CET 2010

At 11:30 PM 3/2/2010, James Porter wrote:
>Perhaps this is a bug or perhaps I'm just doing it wrong, but I
>can't figure out a good way to install C header files as part of a
>setuptools project.
>
>With distutils, there's a "headers" argument to setup() that
>installs the header files in their proper spot, but setuptools
>ignores this. It looks like setuptools is hijacking the install
>command and manually running install_lib, install_data, etc, but
>never install_headers.

Egg-based installs don't include headers.  However, if you use the
--root or --single-version-externally-managed options to "setup.py
install", a backwards-compatible, non-egg-based installation is done,
and the headers should be included in that case.  This installation
mode is used by default when building other types of binary
distribution, such as RPMs.