[Distutils] layout and setup.py for packaging documentation

Jean Daniel jeandaniel.browne at gmail.com
Mon Mar 1 13:08:51 CET 2010

> As a matter of fact, we've worked on this during the sprints, and are
> preparing a proposal
> that will let people define a place for doc (and other stuff) and let
> the OS packager decide where
> it lands (with defaults per OS).

I'll read the proposal. I wonder how it is possible to layout a source
tarball with hints to the OS packager on how to do the right thing.
>From what I have seen, there is no really specification or convention
for tagging a directory in a source tarball as 'doc' in a language
agnostic and OS agnostic way.

Does anyone know if the good people form Perl and Ruby have came up
with a good solution?