[Distutils] [buildout] good example recipe with tests?

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Thu Jun 24 15:09:50 CEST 2010

On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 1:47 PM, Chris Withers <chris at simplistix.co.uk> wrote:
> Chris Withers wrote:

>>> Maybe the recipe shouldn't require all of Zope 2. That seems like a
>>> rather
>>> heavy dependency for a recipe.
>>
>> The recipe sets up a deployment-based Zope 2 instance, I'm pretty sure it
>> needs all of Zope 2 ;-)
>
> I think I could have phrased this better...

Eh.  I understood where you were coming from.  :) It's hard to comment
without studying your recipe, which I don't want to take the time to
do.  It should be possible to rethink the approach to avoid the
dependency. For example, if your recipe is installing the Zope2
software *and* setting up instance config, I think it's doing too
much.

If you disagree, that's fine, but then you might have to do more work
(or maybe not).

> Is there a good example buildout recipe you can point me at, that has good
> tests, preferably using Manuel rather than the deprecated
> zope.testing.doctest and also hopefully avoiding the rather strange
> renormalizer usage I've seen in some buildout tests where a normalizer is
> basically used to hide packages that are reported as missing in an index?

Nope.  Most of the existing recipes were written before manuel was
adopted.  I'd like to figure out where the spurious messages are
coming from, but I have lots of other things I'd like to do that are
more pressing.

One observation is that the testing infrastructure is shaped by a goal
of not wanting to make network connections and download packages in a
test.  This adds lots of complexity.  Maybe you want to relax this.
<shrug>.

Jim

--
Jim Fulton