[Distutils] pip vs easy_install vs distutils2

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Thu Jun 3 17:10:57 CEST 2010

Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> writes:

> On May 29, 2010, at 09:12 PM, Tarek Ziadé wrote:
>
> >That's the point I am trying to express: it's "implicit, embed,
> >installers in project's setup.py" vs "an installer globally installed,
> >knowing how to install projects that follows a given standard"
>
> I feel pretty firmly that the choice of installer should /not/ be left
> up to the project's setup.py. That's within the domain of the user, or
> by proxy, their operating system.

That is the ideal, yes. We need to get to the point where the packaging
data stops being an executable program, and is instead purely
declarative metadata with a well-defined format and semantic
speification.

--
 \      “Software patents provide one more means of controlling access |
  `\      to information. They are the tool of choice for the internet |