[Distutils] Packaging situation + mailing list rules

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Fri Jul 2 12:08:33 CEST 2010

Hello,

>From time to time this mailing list is getting very unpleasant to work
in because some old disagreements,
and because some people are starting to get really nasty.

Here's a reminder of the current packaging situation, and a few rules
I suggest, for the benefit of all

1. Python <= 2.7 contains Distutils

2. Distutils is frozen, and won't evolve anymore

3. Setuptools is built on Distutils

4. Distribute forks Setuptools for various reasons. If you disagree
with this choice, there's no need to send a mail here, because this
    is done. You can send me a private mail, but don't send a mail
here because things are always getting nasty afterwards.
    Make sure to read the archives first, to understand why it was done.

5. Debian, Ubuntu and Fedora are using Distribute rather than
Setuptools. If you find differences in the behavior, you can send
    a mail in this list, so we can fix Distribute. If you disagree
with the distros choice, there's no need to send a mail here,
    because this is done. You can send *them* a mail, or tell them you
disagree with this choice.
    Of course, the most effective behavior would be to work on having
Distribute fixed if you find an issue, but that's up to you.

6. Distutils2 is being built, and has its own mailing list now.
Distutils2 will replace Distutils in Python 3.2 or 3.3.
    It' s built on the various PEPs that were accepted lately, and any
help is welcome..
    The list is here:
http://groups.google.fr/group/the-fellowship-of-the-packaging, and is
moderated.

7. New members of the lists will not know the situation, so they won't
be able to follow these rules of course. But people that
    are hanging around here for years can apply them.

Of course this is just a series of suggestion. You can disagree with
all these rules if you want, but I think they need to be applied in
this mailing-list for the benefit of all.

Thanks,
Tarek

--
Tarek Ziadé | http://ziade.org