[Distutils] How to force installing setuptools instead of distribute ?

David Cournapeau cournape at gmail.com
Thu Jul 1 04:10:12 CEST 2010

Hi,

Ubuntu Lucid uses distribute instead of setuptools, and I cannot
manage to use setuptools with virtualenv because of this. I upgraded
to the last version of virtualenv, which claims to install setuptools
by default, but I still get distribute instead, and I would guess this
is because of Ubuntu using distribute, but who knows....

Is there a simple way to force virtualenv to install setuptools (the
PJE version, *not* the distribute fork) ?

cheers,

David