[Distutils] distribute doesn't use pip?

Lennart Regebro regebro at gmail.com
Fri Jan 29 22:52:43 CET 2010

On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 22:41, Tom Davis <tom at recursivedream.com> wrote:
> Am I missing something? Was distribute never meant to use pip over
> easy_install?

Yes, but not in 0.6. And you could always install pip as well.
Although nowadays you don't have to, because Distribute installs both.

> Am I pretty much doomed in the case of
> wanting to handle the numpy dependency via setup.py?

That's neither easy_install, nor pip, it's Distribute/setuptools that
handles that. It basically runs python setup.py install on the
dependencies. I'm not sure why it wouldn't be able to have numpy as a
dependency,

What exactly is the errors you get?

http://regebro.wordpress.com/
+33 661 58 14 64