[Distutils] distribute 0.6.10 and convert_2to3_doctests

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Fri Jan 29 22:27:57 CET 2010

On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 10:05 PM, Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> wrote:
[..]
> However, it would be nice if setuptools/distribute supported something like
> this out of the box.  The important thing is to have exactly one place to set
> the package's version number.

For metadata fields like "version", one option I am working on in
Distutils itself is to have a complementary section in the static
setup.cfg file, where you can set some fields:

  [setup]
  name=foo
  version=1.9.8

Once setup() is run, the Distribution class will look at this file, to
complete the options provided by code;

Of course this supposes that the version is not calculated by some
code (like in your solution). But I think a plain, non-development
version, can be static.

Tarek