[Distutils] Buildout: Including another Python project via mercurial?

Sridhar Ratnakumar sridharr at activestate.com
Thu Jan 28 20:32:33 CET 2010

I originally posted this in Stackoverflow:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2150887

Here's my buildout.cfg:

     [buildout]
     parts = ... pyrtm ...
     develop = . parts/pyrtm
     eggs = pyrtm

     [pyrtm]
     recipe = mercurialrecipe
     repository = http://bitbucket.org/srid/pyrtm

Assume that `pyrtm' has a release on PyPI, but I don't wish to use that.
What I want here is to use the pyrtm from hg repository directly in my
current project. This means:

1/ if I do "import pyrtm", it should use the pyrtm in the local checkout
(not from pypi release)

2/ Automatically fetch the dependencies (install_requires) of pyrtm when
I run bin/buildout. (otherwise, pyrtm wouldn't work. doh!)

The above buildout.cfg does none of the above. How do I make it work as
intended?

Note that `pyrtm' actually does not have any dependencies and I used it
as an example only (In actuality, I want to rely on an internal package
that has several installation requirements).

Lennart originally suggested the "develop =" syntax which, as shown
above, does not work. Any ideas?

-srid