[Distutils] Platform naming standardization

Nate Coraor nate at psu.edu
Wed Jan 13 04:27:25 CET 2010

Tarek Ziadé wrote:

>> It's not even crucial to me that these be fixed, but before I continue to
>> hack up the platform string, I wanted to ask the SIG to address these issues
>> and hopefully decide on a standard.  That way, I can at least implement
>> patches in my app that will be compatible with whatever (if anything) is
>> decided.
>
> Nothing has been decided yet on this. If you provide a patch for
> get_platform() with a rational,
> we can start the discussion here and work on a standard, we can then
> bring it up at python-dev
> once its ready.

I was holding off on creating such a patch until I had some input on
what how the platform string should be constructed.  And indeed, from
other messages in this thread it sounds like hacking up the platform
string should not even be the way to do this.

I would be happy to provide something, though, if I should go ahead and
come up with something that seems reasonable to me.

--nate