[Distutils] [Catalog-sig] packaging terminology confusion

Lennart Regebro regebro at gmail.com
Sun Jan 10 17:32:30 CET 2010

On Sun, Jan 10, 2010 at 16:24, Brad Allen <bradallen137 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I had thought 'egg' was just another distribution format, an
> alternative to tarball, etc. But I have heard people at my local user
> group use it to mean 'module distribution'.

Yeah, there is some confusion there. As I understand it, 'Egg' isn't
even a distribution format, and egg is a package that has extra
information. There is also a distribution format, .egg, but a tarball
that includes a .egg-info directory is an egg. A tarball that doesn't,
but has a setup.py, is not an egg, but may be used to make it one.

Or?

That is terminology that may need discussing.
http://regebro.wordpress.com/
+33 661 58 14 64