[Distutils] [Catalog-sig] packaging terminology confusion

P.J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Sat Jan 9 17:38:52 CET 2010

At 09:13 AM 1/9/2010 -0600, Brad Allen wrote:
>On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 11:44 AM, P.J. Eby <pje at telecommunity.com> wrote:
>

> >> Yes, very much. I like 'parcel' better than 'project', partly because
> >> it's not already overload with other contextual meanings.
> >
> > This is just another example of the degree of confusion around terminology
> > here, because "parcel" isn't a substitute for "project": a "project" is
> > something that you would release "parcels" *for*.
>
>These two terms have yet to be formally adopted, so they can mean what
>we want them to mean.

You miss my point: the usage of "project" you were commenting on was
not in reference to the same thing as your comment.  In the context
of the thread, "project" was referring to "thing that has releases"
and "parcel" was being used as a substitute for the existing term
"distribution" or "module distribution".

(And even if it's *me* who's confused here, the point still stands
about the degree of confusion.  ;-) )

Anyway, IMO "parcel" works great as a substitute for "distribution"
(as it is a concrete term for a concrete thing) and not so great as a
substitute for "project" (since a project isn't that concrete a thing
and "parcel" therefore seems *too* concrete).