[Distutils] [RFC] Python 2.7 Distutils extra features

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Thu Jan 7 16:25:52 CET 2010

On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 1:44 PM, Floris Bruynooghe
<floris.bruynooghe at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Tarek
>
> On Wed, Jan 06, 2010 at 06:13:21PM +0100, Tarek Ziadé wrote:
>> Besides the PEP-related features, I would like to add some tiny
>> features in Distutils for Python 2.7 before the alpha stage is over :
>>
>> - a test command, that just uses the new unittest discovery to run
>> unittest-compatible tests.
>
> Will it be easy to change this to use py.test or nose?  Or will that
> just be the normal command overriding mechanism?

Are you referring to Setuptools' test_suite option ?

Distutils test command could have a similar mechanism, but without the
auto-installation machinery that comes with Setuptools' one, or the
entry points. e.g. running test will not install a third-party
package, and will not do a plugin discovery. So one may pass the name
of a module or method, like "nose.collector" for delegating the test
collecting.

But is there a real use case for that ? I mean, you use Nose, can't
you just run nosetests in the root ?

Or is this for avoing a PATH manipulation on win32 systems ? where
sys.prefix+/Scripts is not in PATH.

Tarek