[Distutils] PEP 376 - RECORD file / Data files + pip feedback ?

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Tue Feb 9 12:00:18 CET 2010

On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 11:20 AM, David Cournapeau <cournape at gmail.com> wrote:
[..]

>> But that's a lot of work that will not happen in 2.7. Here, the
>> attempt is not to correct distutils design
>> flaw about building things (e.g. the fact that install is also a build
>> command in some way), but rather
>> to find the simplest way to define the RECORD file
>
> Maybe we are not speaking about the same thing. I was talking about this thread
>
> http://mail.python.org/pipermail/distutils-sig/2009-December/014994.html
>
> Having a workable specification for this should not require any heavy
> distutils refactoring. As it is mostly reimplementing a known and
> already-used design, it should not be a lot of work.

ok, I thought you were mentioning the creation of a configure command,
that would create
a description file that can be used at build step.

The build manifest you are mentioning (as I said back then) seems like
a good idea,  and is
complementary in some ways with what Wolojda has started.

Now, since it seems a bit similar to the RECORD file (a list of files
+ variables) , maybe you could describe
the differences (keeping the target file, file groups) by taking an
example of RECORD file from PEP 376,
and rewriting it, so we can compare and understand it better,

Tarek

--
Tarek Ziadé | http://ziade.org