[Distutils] Passing user and password to easy_install

Reinout van Rees reinout at vanrees.org
Tue Apr 20 15:44:35 CEST 2010

On 04/15/2010 06:15 PM, Brad Allen wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 7:59 AM, Simon de Vlieger<simon at ikanobori.jp>  wrote:
>> Luigi,
>>
>> I am not sure if using PyPi for private package distribution (what this
>> equates to) would be
>> a particularly nice idea. This way the PyPi would contain packages which
>> cannot be installed
>> by users of PyPi.
>>
>> Alas, I don't know of any ways distutils can fulfill your request in its
>> current form.
>
> Luigi, you might want to consider setting up a private package server
> instead of using PyPI. Where I work, we publish our eggs internally
> via an Apache server, so we are able to make use of Apache's security
> features (like https, authentication, and IP restriction). This works
> fine with setuptools and buildout, and will probably also work in
> future with the new 'distribute' tools.

See for an example
http://reinout.vanrees.org/weblog/2010/02/25/sdistmaker-your-own-pypi.html

Replace 'sdistmaker' there with whatever method you choose for putting
your own eggs online.

There's an apache snippet in there that shows an easy way to use a
private egg server together with the "real pypi".

Reinout