[Distutils] Static metadata using setup.cfg

David Lyon david.lyon at preisshare.net
Wed Sep 9 01:01:09 CEST 2009

On Tue, 8 Sep 2009 14:20:30 +0200, Tarek Ziadé <ziade.tarek at gmail.com>
wrote:
> The practice in the community is to create the long_description field
> using a separate reStructuredText file
> and reaching it in setup.py like this for example:
>
> long_description = open('README.txt').read()
>
> Having a callable that provides this feature in the template allows
> writing:
>
> """
> [setup.cfg]
>
> long_description: {$ long_description('README.txt') $}
> """

If the config file is actually a code file... (mixing config
with code)... what has been accomplished?

I was always led to believe that mixing static data with code was
bad programming practice. Have configuration files for configuration
and program files for programs.

Why have a static data file?

Why not go back to setup.py which was mixed data/code....?

David